Sunday, October 12, 2014

Experiments in Colorwork



Oh, this little guy?  He's just a great little hat that I started knitting last winter and [cough] finally finished a couple weeks ago.  Sometimes I get distracted by other thi--

HOLY CRAP, IT'S RAINING!

Wait.  Where was I?  Oh, yeah.

Sometimes I get distracted and then my current projects become UFOs (UnFinished Objects), and then they sit in the bottom of my knitting bag until I get interested again or until I decide that the project will never work and then frog the whole thing.

Off topic: As a lover of bad puns, it's always an exciting moment for me when my non-knitter friends and family members ask me what frogging is.  What do frogs say?  Rip it, rip it, rip it.  Ha!  Oh, man.  My dad would be so proud.  (He also loves bad puns.)

Okay, back to the hat.

So this hat is an experiment where I combined two patterns that I really liked.  Last winter, I made Blue Sky Alpacas' Java Cloche for a friend (with matching mittens!).  It turned out so well and was such an easy pattern to follow, that I wanted to make one for myself, too.  But I didn't want the exact same hat because I always end up wearing the exact same thing as my friends/mom/sister-in-law/insert female relation here.  (Seriously.  Once, my best friend and I showed up to a party in matching lavender cable-knit sweaters, jeans, and charcoal & lavender argyle socks.)

Java Cloche & Matching Mittens


In an effort to avoid looking like twinsies with our matching Java Cloches, I decided to borrow the colorwork chart from Blue Sky Alpacas' Sporty Mitts instead.

And it's beautiful!  I've gotten several compliments on it, so I must say it's a success!



You can find the patterns I mention above on Blue Sky Alpacas' website here:
Java Cloche: https://blueskyalpacas.com/patterns/java-cloche-free-pattern/
Sporty Mitts: https://blueskyalpacas.com/patterns/sporty-mitts-free-pattern/

No comments:

Post a Comment